In the ever changing world, it is vitally important that we as a school educate your children about the importance of keeping safe online. E-safety is specifically taught to all classes as part of the curriculum and reinforced throughout the year. We follow Childnet's SMART internet safety rules.
Pupils should know:
- That for most people the internet is an integral part of life and has many benefits
- About the benefits of rationing time spent online, the risks of excessive time spent on electronic devices and the impact of positive and negative content online on their own and others’ mental and physical wellbeing
- How to consider the effect of their online actions on others and know how to recognise and display respectful behaviour online and the importance of keeping personal information private
- Why social media, some computer games and online gaming, for example, are age restricted
- That the internet can also be a negative place where online abuse, trolling, bullying and harassment can take place, which can have a negative impact on mental health
- How to be a discerning consumer of information online including understanding that information, including that from search engines, is ranked, selected and targeted
- Where and how to report concerns and get support with issues online
Below are some links that can support you as parents. Please contact us if you have any concerns about helping your child stay safe online.